What is Sexual Health?
Sexual health is having a healthier body. A satisfying sex life. Valuing and feeling good about yourself. Having peace of mind. Positive relationships, whether short term or long term. Experiencing pleasure, intimacy, and joy. Avoiding sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and unplanned pregnancies. These are just a few of the important benefits of good sexual health.
Being sexually healthy means being able to enjoy a healthier body, a satisfying sexual life, positive relationships, and peace of mind. It also means enjoying your sexuality and taking care of yourself and your partners throughout your life. Being free to talk about sexual health with your partner and provider is key to your health.
Action Steps to Good Sexual Health
The NCSH has identified five key steps that can help individuals achieve good sexual health:
- Value who you are and decide what’s right for you
- Treat your partners well and expect them to treat you well
- Build positive relationships
- Get smart about your body and protect it
- Make sexual health part of your healthcare routine